Psalm 119: 12-16 - " Praise be to you , O Lord ; teach me your decrees. WITH MY LIPS I RECOUNT all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

In Real Life - Enjoy the Muffins !

      Psalm 34:8-Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!

  I clocked out  by swiping my badge, sort of sighing in relief that the night was over. I flung my purse across my shoulder and headed out to the parking lot. There was my husband smiling at me from the driver seat of the van, ready to pick me up. I got in  and he graciously asked me how my night went. “ It was okay”, I half heartedly said. He looked at me reading me like a book. “ What’s wrong?”, he replied, knowing something was up. “ I am just tired. I have all these goals honey and I just don’t have enough time to meet them. I just wish I could be home. It just seems so hard sometimes.” Of
course I went on with a few other complaints. One thing about my husband from day one of our marriage is he has never really allowed me to have a full blown pity party. He has a habit of nipping it in the bud. I have often found this annoying,because, well I like having pity parties on occasion. But I also count this my greatest blessing.
           My husband being the straight shooter that he is, took aim at me and fired. Hitting the bulls eye. He simply but firmly replied to my pity party sentences, “ You know what your problem is honey ?” I kind of looked up as if I were surprised, had I not been married to this guy for sixteen years. “ What ?”, I very hesitantly answered. “ You don’t enjoy your muffins, you just want the cake !”  I didn't even have to ask what that meant,  I knew. With one slogan he had silenced me.
                I sat there thinking. Then I sat there convicted. God has given me so many good things, or muffins according to my husband. I stopped my long list of complaints and self pity sorrows and tried to look over my shoulder so to speak. I could see what my husband was talking about. God had given me so many little adventures, so many opportunities, so many undeserved gifts. He had handed me muffin after muffin to taste and see that He is good. Here I was again, complaining that I had not received the cake, as my husband had so well put it.
                I stopped right there in the van and asked God to forgive me. Then I decided to thank Him for all the muffins. Too many to count really. He had been so good to me , in so many ways. Here I was complaining that He had not been good enough to give me the cake I had hoped for. I am so thankful that my husband opened my eyes through pastries, ( which by now he knows is the way to my heart.) In his simple terminology, he stopped what had become a complex pity party  ( one that didn't taste very good either) . I was on a quick road to oogling over bigger and better, instead of gazing down to what was right in front of me , just like a pastry shop display case. There they were , all the beautiful muffins God had given for me to enjoy all these years. Step by step along life's way, right in front of me.
                Sometimes God doesn't give us the BIG right now. He knows us, just like we know our kids. We would eat the whole thing and end up sick. Instead with His wisdom, love and grace He gives us what we need today. Those little tastes of His blessings richly given to us for our enjoyment. Not because we are good, but because He is. I love my husbands slogan,” Enjoy the muffins!” I have adopted it and I am using it in our home. Yesterday Titus was complaining about something he didn't have. I quickly said, “ Your not enjoying your muffins!” “ What does that mean mom !”, he quickly asked. I told him in love just like his dad did to me. I will keep using this slogan as my kids grow, and I will say it to myself when the next pity party blows it's horn, throws confetti and sends me an invitation.
                We can all use a straight shooter in our lives. We can all use a reminder to look back over our shoulder and see all the goodness of God toward us in the past years, months and days. Muffin after muffin. We can complain about not having the cake, or we can rejoice in all the sweet small gifts He has given us . There are so many as I discovered that day in the van. I hope that you see it too. You may not have the cake you think you need, but God has surely given you a multitude of muffins. Do you need to hear it, I did,   “ Enjoy the muffins !”

No comments:

Post a Comment