Psalm 119: 12-16 - " Praise be to you , O Lord ; teach me your decrees. WITH MY LIPS I RECOUNT all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Real Life is a " Whatever Circumstance !"

Philippians 4:11-13

for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. 12 I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.



"What stood out to you honey?" My husband asked, sitting across the room on the couch. I knew exactly what had stood out in the chapter we were reading. It was that moment when a lump forms in your throat and the words jump off the page right into your heart. God's Word was doing it again, challenging me in the midst of real life. This verse was timely and I needed it this week more than ever. I was in escape mode. I wanted to run from my circumstance.
My circumstances had recently changed in an area of my life I have cherished for a long time. The circumstances I was used to, comfortable in. The circumstances that I liked. Things were different and now they seemed hard, challenging and honestly... sad. The thing I once found great joy and satisfaction in had become a heavy weight in the midst of my life. I looked up from the verses that were pounding at my hearts door and I knew I had my answer to this uncomfortable dilemma.
I in no way could or ever can compare myself to Paul's circumstances. When Paul said these things, he meant the worst conditions possible that I could ever imagine to endure. My situation could never compare to his challenges. But I also know and believe that God's Word applies to our everyday life. I knew I could apply what Paul was saying in my very circumstance.
In the last two months I had been trying to change things for the better. I didn't want to deal with the hard, the change. I was no longer appreciated as I had been in the past, I felt as Paul said, abased. I was not experiencing abundance in this circumstance, I felt in desperate need. I wasn't satisfied in changes, I was hungry for something better. I did a few things to try and escape. I was ready to move on and leave these new harder circumstances behind. I had said to myself, " Well, if I am not happy and appreciated here then I'll just move on."
But with my husbands words, " What stood out to you?" I knew my circumstances did not need to change, maybe they would never change. I needed to change my heart and learn to be content. Though I felt abased, I could be content. though I felt like I had been brought low, I could be content. Paul said he found the secret in verse 12. That secret is Christ alone. Paul said in ANY and ALL circumstances, and this fell in the any and all category. I couldn't just run away and pretend God's Word didn't apply to even this.
This week was different for me. Nothing has changed in my circumstances, but my perspective has. Instead of looking to escape this week, I endured a little better. Instead of wanting to run, I stayed. Instead of wishing to be back to my appreciated state I chose to be content, even though I felt abased. I reminded myself of my new found verses and found joy in my secret of contentment. Contentment came and I hope is coming more and more as I grow in the Lord because... " I can do ALL things THROUGH CHRIST who strengthens me."
Do you wish to run, to choose a more comfortable area where you feel appreciated, accepted and let's admit it , easy peasy ? I know how you feel. But Philippians challenged me to stick it out and I hope it challenges you in your circumstances too. I hope as I am growing that I keep learning in my any and ALL circumstances to be content. I hope I am allowing Christ to strengthen me to do all things, even the thing I am not comfortable or content in doing. Real Life is a whatever circumstance. There will always be a new challenge. I can run or I can be content. I can learn the secret.





Lord, you are the secret of contentment in any and all circumstances. When I start looking at people, places and things I get discouraged. My contentment comes in you. Even when I am brought low, when I am abased, would you teach me to be content even in this ? I like things easy, I like to be approved, but I know your Word says I can still be joyful, happy and content when things are not going my way. I choose you Lord. I choose you over people and situations and my circumstances. May I truly be able to say as I grow that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. You be my strength no matter what is going on around me. Help me not to run so quickly, help me to stand in you my secret to contentment, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post. So much like where I am in life now, learning to find grace and joy and contentment in the circumstances of life instead of just lamenting them and wishing it was all different. We often can't change life but we can change our outlook.

    ReplyDelete