Psalm 119: 12-16 - " Praise be to you , O Lord ; teach me your decrees. WITH MY LIPS I RECOUNT all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

In Real Life... Tune in to Your Kids Favorite Station , and Then Rejoice in it !

                The older my kids become the more differences I can see in each of them, starting with music. I am trying as a parent to tune in to their station. Not so they think I am the, " cool mom!" Not so I fit in with the teenage crowd, ( cause let's face it ,that is not going to happen.) But I do it especially for a reason. To know them, to encourage them, and to rejoice in their separate differences.
           
               He scoots in the front seat of the car, slams the door and I know. I know the radio is no longer mine, it's his. I pull out with a sigh as my tunes fade in the past and his tunes drown out the future. Then just as I think I might be enjoying a particular song , his fingers grab the knob and switch it faster than I can blink. He is on to the next song and the next. Back and forth we go until we arrive at our driving destination. My oldest son knows all the artists names, he is up to date on the latest and greatest.  

But why am I surprised?
             
             He is always on the go. Always hanging out with the guys !He is likable by most everyone that meets him. He is interested in different people and is kind to those that are not exactly like him in personality. He blends in well , even in a diverse group. He is easy to talk to and hang out with.He is interested in names and concerns and cares of others. He flips easily from one station of friends to another, he cares about them all. This is his station, the one I am so privileged to listen to as he grows into a  man.
             
               When my daughter however, has the remote in the living room and I see the Pandora option on the TV screen, I know. I know where she is headed. It will be something Irish or something Michael Buble. We hop to our feet and usually start dancing. I love hearing her laugh and watching her goof off. Her brothers usually roll their eyes as we roll across the dance ( living room ) floor. It is not what they want to hear. But my daughters heart finds great joy in the music she loves. We make eye contact over smiles and funky moves.I love holding her hands swinging like a wanna be dance star and just loving who she is.

 But why am I surprised.

              She loves to laugh. She listens to the words and tunes of her songs, just like she listens to peoples hearts. She moves others.She is very interested in details of the heart, not just surface issues. It is not enough to tell her you are okay. She looks in your eyes and knows and then she asks and investigates until she knows the truth. Her heart rings out just like the Irish violin or the soothing tones of Buble himself. This is her station, the one I am so privileged to listen to as she grows into a young woman.
             
              Tonight we dropped our older two off at youth group. I flipped off my oldest  son's music that was still blaring and booming up a beat. " Hey son" I said to my 12 year old." How about we find a country station , what do ya think."  I find I have to make the first move with the music dial. He doesn't push his way and usually let's others, his older siblings included, go first. He is a boy with manners and is very polite.Titus has been my greatest surprise in music selections. No one, I repeat no one in our family likes country. Yet he has become a country music lover. Anything Johnny Cash and classical country lights up his face. I rarely hear him singing , but when I do it is because country is on the station. 

But why am I surprised?

            I have had the privileged of watching this young mans love for fishing , hunting and outdoor events. I have seen his growing interest in raising chickens and having a blast on his friends ranch when he is invited. He even had a slight crush on a cowgirl recently.He sticks up for others and speaks his mind. He is not easily intimidated and he holds his own. He is a protector of his mom and sister, and might I add anyone who would need his help. I love that this is him. This is his station , the one I am so privileged to listen to as he grows into a young man.

Even though they are all  apart of this family they are unique individuals, designed by a loving God for a special purpose.

           We are all different aren't we? If we admit it as moms there are personalities and differences in our families that drive us nuts. But what a boring home, full of one single flare of music, we would have without diversity. We may even find as we get to know the members of our household that we like the freshest tunes, the Irish ring or the country, boot kickin , blaze that comes through our station when these special kids are around. We can grrrr and growl when our personal station flips, or we can rejoice that our kids are special individuals. Set apart for a dance, swing, Irish jig or country line dance of their own someday. It is just one more reason to rejoice in the wonderful people God has made and placed around us. This beautiful song called family. Now that is a station worth listening to!
  


I Corinthians 12:4-6
4Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone.



I love these verses, don't you ? I want to encourage you to read all of chapter 12. It's a beautiful reminder as to how we are all apart of the body, we are all unique and individually important. We are all different in Gods family, just like we are different in our own individual families. Is there someone in your family or Gods family that annoys you, rubs you wrong or you just do not " click " with. This chapter has been a great reminder to me that we all belong to God in Christ. He is working on each of us, that's for sure. None of us have arrived. I am so glad he uses us with all our different personalities, corks and gifts as well.  We belong to Him, but we do not all talk, act and sound alike. Our commonality is Christ. Is there a person at home, work or church we could stop and listen to with this perspective in mind? 

2 comments:

  1. i love how you can identify your children's independence and differences with music, and how you respect them for that. beautiful. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a great mom! You're so purposeful in your parenting! I have much to learn from you my friend!

    ReplyDelete